Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Broken Bottles

Memories of a silly quarrel between myself and my best friend sparked this story of Broken Bottles in Welsh Cakes: Book of Short Stories. Gwen goes off in a huff after her friend Betty won't let her play with her new doll. She joins up with a group of local boys and plays house with them. The boys soon get bored with this game and decide that they will teach Betty a lesson for quarreling with Gwen. They decide to throw bottles at her. Gwen knows that her loyalties lie with Betty and rushes off to save her from the boys' attack.

3 comments:

Peter Black said...

Ooh! Throwing bottles -- presumably glass ... pretty dangerous stuff!
And yet, looking back to childhood, there are so many thoughtless and dangerous things some us did as kids it's a wonder we survived. But, we did. and here we are, writing and reading about such escapades.
Childhood -- an area for developing such qualities as responsibility and loyalty.
Thanks Judith,
Peter.

Peter Black said...

An' I still can't get it right, eh!
In my post above, I meant to say: Childhood -- an ARENA for developing such qualities ...
Peter.

Judith Lawrence said...

Peter,
Thanks again for taking the rime and effort to read my blog and share your thoughts on my stories.
Judith