Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Bread and Butter Girl

The years following the Second World War were simple times. There was food and clothes rationing so we didn't get much in the way of cakes, candies or jam. We, as children, didn't miss it much--we got everything we needed and we were given the best of what was available. It was the parents who put their needs on hold for us and it was the mothers who had to make sure the meat, sugar and butter rations were managed well enough so that the family could eat and be nourished.

A birthday or Christmas party was truly rare though, sometimes, a hotel or a business would put on a special do at Christmas. As a child, I don't remember worrying about it; I enjoyed what I had and didn't miss what I didn't have. Everybody was in the same position as everyone else.

I didn't have older sisters but I did have girl cousins and was the recipient of hand-me-downs in the clothes department. My mother used to make my clothes but, with the rationing new material for new clothes was in short supply.

The rain water barrel was a good source of soft water. The water that came out of our taps was hard and it was not easy to get a lather for good washing of clothes, hair or body. The rain water was soft and great for washing; we took good care of it and loved the silky feel it gave to our hair when we used it for shampoo night.

We didn't have much in those days but we didn't feel deprived. We enjoyed the special treats we had and enjoyed everyday living as it came.

1 comment:

Peter Black said...

You're again pulling on the curtain cord of memory, Judith! This piece (as with others in the series) evokes memories of my childhood, although my childhood was divided between a town in Essex and the city of Glasgow, Scotland.
Yes, I remember food and clothes rationing; also, hand-me downs came from cousins, among others to me (my siblings were girls).
My mum used the best parts of some old adult clothes to make trousers and jackets for me.
Our water in Essex was also very hard, and caked the insides of kettles and pans in no time at all.
We occasionally caught rain for hair washing. Glasgow, on the other hand, had naturally soft water. What a difference we found.
Blessings,
Peter.