Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Recipe for Welsh Cakes

Now that I've finished taking you through my Book of Short Stories I will be writing different things each week. Today, I thought I would give you the recipe for this sweet treat--Welsh Cakes. They are a delightful afternoon snack and, if you're not eating them right off the griddle, just wrap a couple in a paper towel and warm them in the microwave for about 15 seconds. They are delicious!

I hope you like my new background on this blog. I thought a new stage in its writing called for a new design.

Ingredients
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
¾ cup sugar
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 cup shortening
1 cup currants
2 eggs
6 tbsp. milk
Method
Sift dry ingredients in bowl. Cut in shortening. Add currants. Beat eggs and milk. Add to fruit and flour. Mix well. Divide dough into 4 parts. Roll out to ¼ inch thick. Cut with cookie cutter. Bake on ungreased skillet (350 degrees F.) for 5 – 10 minutes on each side.
Yield: 3 dozen.

No comments: