Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Green Carpet

This post is about The Green Carpet, a postcard story from Welsh Cakes: Book of Short Stories. The story is narrated by an elderly woman who is standing at the graveside of her recently deceased husband. She has been married to her husband for so many years that she has trouble thinking of him not being there when she returns to their home following the funeral. "This ceremony is outside of me, apart from my reality. When it is finished, I will return home and tell you of my morning's experience as I always do. We will have lunch and all will be as it was before...My eyelids are cold behind my glasses. The tears collect at the corners of my eyes and run slowly down my cheeks. I look up and see the snow falling in big flakes, gathering on the carpeted mound. The snow will blanket the earth and settle on your grave. It is the right time in the seasons' circle for death to come upon you. It will be your winter's hibernation. I break free from my son's support and walk toward the mound. I reach under the coarse green covering and my hand closes around the cold wet earth. I throw the clod into the hole and it breaks into tiny pearl size offerings. It is my last gesture of love for you. I turn away, the smell of earth's promise of new life still on my fingers."

2 comments:

Peter Black said...

Judith,
You did it again!
This is so evocative for me.
Your description of the woman's experience of cold eyelids ... was as though I felt it over again, as I have, numerous times before.
Also, I remember twenty-two years ago in Essex, being over for my Dad's funeral, and at the graveside, I and the other pallbearers lowered the casket, then we threw in our ropes. The minister tossed in a handful of earth. What I don't recall for sure is whether we also threw in a handful of dirt; I almost fancy that we did.
Thank you for this inspiring narrative, and for stirring this sacred memorial moment.

Judith Lawrence said...

Peter, once again, thank you for your generous comments. I appreciate that you take the time to write them. That my writings touch people and remind them of similar experiences is very rewarding for me.