Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Blueberry Wine

Blueberry Wine is the first of the short stories in Part 2 of Welsh Cakes: Book of Short Stories. Part 2 consists of eight short stories with differing genres and protagonists of varying ages and dispositions.

Blueberry Wine is about a husband and wife of senior years who are less than tolerant of one another. The husband's hobby is making home-made wine while his wife, who is wheel-chair bound, enjoys drinking it.

Harry, the husband, longs to be free of the restraints of his unhappy marriage and devises a plan to do just that through his wine making hobby.

Writers store up many incidents in their memories over the years, incidents that can be pulled out from the grab bag and inserted in the story for a little colour. In this story the protagonist's name of Harry begged me to have a canary as Mona's pet bird. This from a friend's work-place tale of a co-worker named Harry whose wife phoned him in great distress crying, "Harry, Harry! I just sucked up the canary in the vacuum cleaner!"

1 comment:

Peter Black said...

You stir the intrigue and raise a smile, with this one, Judith.
I don't think I commented on your story /post in which you wrote about the amphibious landing craft used in the war and the rides people could have on them, following it. I remember them from my visits to Southend-on-Sea and perhaps other coastal towns. I don't remember being on one, but was fascinated as I saw them going in and out of the water with ease, laden with excited sea-spray splashed riders.